Raspberry Pi - start without HDMI adapter

So, after the "mind blowing" fair we went in Stuttgart, we started to push something new

The thing is what I've been saying for a long time: Raspberry Pi 4

As currently the adapter is not here yet, I tried to start without it connecting to hdmi directly


I did some research and found a lot of methods, wireless method hasn't succeed

So, what I did on my first day of Raspberry Pi

Install Rasbian

though the distributor has put a NOOB in the SD card which came with the pi, I decided to try from step one on another SD card

So go download Raspbian at https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
I use the one with recommended software, for more conveniency

and I saw either people use Rufus or Etcher to install, I used Rufus while I was installing Ubuntu, so I tried Etcher this time.

It is quite intuitive, just get the .zip I just downloaded, and then it will almost autmoatically find the SD card available for install, then just flash it!


After flashing, the system is ready, if there is a micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter, it  can be straight connected to screen, mouse, and keyboard.

Connect to PC

So two softwares are required for this step: PUTTY and Xming

in the SD card first create a new file called ssh without any extentions

the first step can test if it is working

connect Pi to PC with Ethernet cable, and then use call the command line

type in ipconfig /all to get all the connected port

our Pi will be at Ethernet adapter Ethernet, ip will be shown at Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address



FYI. the PCs connected to this PC will be always be in 169.254.xxx.xxx

then go back and turn off Raspberry Pi, open the cmdline.txt in the SD card

put in ip=169.254.xxx.xxx at the end of the line

then we can put the SD card back in, turn on Pi

Next step is turn on Putty, and connect with the IP address





when the window opened, log in

default is
user: pi
password: raspberry

then the terminal is here!

for GUI, type startlxde, then we have our pi on our PC!


That is my first day of Raspberry Pi, next step will let it run my realsense script!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wireless connection

On day two, I found that the ip address changes, which i will need to repeate the process everytime I reconnect pi.
Also connecting all the messy cables in 2019 is kind of dumb.

So I looked into wireless options, and followed these two:
Official document: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md
And a tutorial


Before connecting to wifi, the thing is that the terminal don't like underscore(_) and space

My wifi name is FRITZ!Box 7490, therefore it can't be used, so I created a hotspot from my PC
And then follow the instructions

first use sudo raspi-config to connect to hot spot

then get the sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

This is to check if the connection is valid
Then in the official document is kind of hard coding it

with sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf will edit the .config file

or the automatic way used in the video is sudo wpa_passphrase "SSID" "password"| sudo tee -a etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
(also written in the document)
the video editted the conf file to hide the password, I skipped this step.

then the last step is to get the ip address
with  sudo wpa_cli -i wlan0 reconfigure and then ifconfig wlan0

now the ip address will be shown
Then just open a new session on PuTTy, when the login shows up, succeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

專案簡介:深度相機的應用 從資料蒐集到資料應用 萬能的Python呀 請賜與我神奇的力量!

Contact Me!